X INTERNATIONAL LITERARY YOUTH COMPETITION “WHOEVER SAVES ONE HUMAN LIFE SAVES THE WHOLE UNIVERSE”
ORGANIZER: Center for Jewish-Bulgarian Cooperation “Alef”
SUPPORTERS: Burgas Municipality, Ministry of Education and Science, National Children’s Palace
THEME: A STORY OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT
PARTICIPATION ELIGIBILITY IN GENRE 1: a literary narrative based on historical event or person
I. High school students from Bulgaria and abroad in two categories:
– from 8 to 12 grade, students in secondary schools in Bulgaria
– from 8 to 12 grade, students in secondary schools in Europe and Israel
PARTICIPATION ELIGIBILITY IN GENRE 2: A video narrative based on historical event or person.
II. High school students from Bulgaria and abroad in two categories:
– students in secondary schools from 8 to 12 grade from Bulgaria
– students in secondary schools from 8 to 12 grade in Europe and Israel
The participants must send a literary story written specifically for this competition in their native language. Their literary works must be unpublished and they must not have participated in other competitions.
The candidates who have prepared a video story must send it in Bulgarian or in their native language with English subtitles.
Every candidate can participate with only one narrative.
DIRECTIONS: The young authors must turn their attention to the time of the Holocaust and create a literary/video narrative in which they will have to focus their attention on the plight of the Jewish population, the difficulties and worries awaiting deportation to the Nazi death camps, as well as the resistance and help of worthy people led to the unprecedented act of saving the Jews. Using the means of fiction or the cinema techniques through a video narrative shot by a phone or an amateur camera, the students will have to present through a concrete story the troubling time of the Second World War, the fear of the persecuted Jews and the courage of worthy saviors. Contestants could seek answers to the questions: What gives you the courage to help Jews during a time of genocide against them? What makes a man risk his life to save another? How does it feel to be in danger and rely only on the courage and morals of a friend?
The literaty narratives based on historical facts and authentic stories will be given preference. The jury will highly appreciate the research spirit of the authors – searching for eyewitnesses or their heirs, as well as the creative recreation of their memories. A creative approach to the subject will be an advantage.
The video narratives is recommended to contain any of the following elements: individual memories, an interview about the subject, documenting a personal story of a rescued ones or rescuer, a video narrative of places where the dramatic events unfolded 80 years ago, a flash mob, artistic recreations, staged recreationson the subject, etc.
Literay narratives: Maximum 4 computer pages, A4 format, 12 points
Video narratives: could be shot by a phone or amateur camera up to 5 minutes
Participants must send their full name, a short personal presentation, full address for correspondence, phone number and e-mail.
The competition materials: literary stories or links to the video stories must be sent to the e-mail address of the organizers: email@example.com
Start: 1st of October 2022
Deadline for receiving the narratives: 1st of February 2023
The narratives will be judged by an international jury. The jury will nominate the 25 best participants from Bulgaria and abroad.
THE NOMINATED ONES:
All nominees will be invited to the award ceremony in June 2023 in Burgas, Bulgaria at the expenses of the organizers.
The nominated short stories, as well as the video stories, will be published on the Alef’s website.
THE AWARDED ONES: The jury will announce the winners in the three categories from all nominees
- literary story of the Bulgarian participants
- literary story of the international participants
- video story for the Bulgarian and international participants together
- Participation in the activities of the 3-day International Literary Youth Festival “Friendship – meaning and salvation” in Burgas, Bulgaria, in June 2023 at the expenses of the organizers. Participation in creative literary workshops with prominent writers and historians, screenings of documentaries dedicated to the Holocaust and the unique salvation of Bulgarian Jews, book presentations, exhibitions, literary readings and more.
- Participation in the solemn awarding ceremony of the competition “Whoever saves one human life, saves the whole universe” in June 2023 in Burgas at the expenses of the organizers.
- The award-winning short stories will be published in 2023 in a separate literary collection, published by the Center “Alef”, as well as on the our website www.alef-bg.org
Voucher for vacation in Bulgaria.
- Cash prizes and certificates for the best performing participants.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE RESULTS
The nominated stories will be announced on Alef’s website www.alef-bg.org by 1st of April 2023
The results for the final ranking will be announced at the solemn award ceremony in Burgas in June 2023
If you have any additional question you can contact us: 0035956896480, +359884998668, firstname.lastname@example.org , https://www.facebook.com/alef.center